[rescue] Death of a PDP-11/Clueless office people...

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Sun Feb 3 13:42:36 CST 2002

<RANT>
I just saw one of my most horrifying sight yet rescuing hardware.

A dumpster with a cut-up PDP-11CS in it.  They cut wires, broke
boards, and then just discarded it with all the other trash.
About the only thing that was intact was the brown metal case side/top.

It was from my wife's place of business, (she feels really bad that she
didn't know it was worth anything to anyone), and the
windows/networking woman there said "It's a piece of junk!  Just throw
it out!" so they cut it up and tossed it.

The cluelessness of that office just amazes me.  They let a guy who
regularly locks up their network of _Macs_ run the network/database
stuff, the have FileMaker Pro up to 150,000 entries in one table and
think that's ok, they gave keychains as Christmas bonus gifts, they
didn't buy a maintenance contract on the Canon printing beast, and
yet...they spent $700/chair for 6 Aerons for the conference room.

On top of everything else the main database guy gave my wife, the data
entry person, the ability to import/merge tables in the database - and
then blamed her when things screwed up.

I so want my wife to change jobs.
*sigh* Maybe I can teach her programming...

</RANT>

Mike Hebel                       mailto:nimitz at owc.net