[rescue] I'm about to get netscaped

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 2 09:40:17 CST 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: ed at the7thbeer.com [mailto:ed at the7thbeer.com]
~
~ Yeah...there are other ways to insidiously track your users
~ without being
~ so open and up-front about it. :P
~
~ So they want a login.  So they want to get an idea of who uses the
~ service, how they use it and so on.  I don't think that's such a bad
~ thing.  Now if they start popping cookies onto my drive and I suddenly
~ find popups and popunders "advertising" their service when I crank up
~ Nutscrape Aggravator to go surf some pr0n, that's another story
~ altogether.
~
We didn't want to use cookies. Believe it or not, we are pretty good
netizens (our unfortunate hosting contract with Network Solutions not
withstanding). We are just trying to find a way to keep Mapblast around.

Now, if you want to talk about borg ownership, check out the original point
of this thread http://mappoint.msn.net. If you dig in and read you will find
they want to integrate mappoint with .NET. Gee, my passport info will
provide mappoint with a total history and tailor ads and direction for me.
AND, when the start providing comercial geolocation services, when I go to,
say, GM.com GM will know who I am, my credit rating, what cars I have
registered, what GM sites/GM hate sites I surf and where I live. They can
then pop up local dealer info and specials based on me. Lets assume they
think I can only afford a chevette (or whatever they sell today), then I
will be bombarded with chevette ads.

I hate MS and I hate where the net is going. I'm sure that MS will own the
general net public. Their push on .NET is huge, and it is geared toward
forcing clients and servers to use MScrap.