[rescue] Sparc-1

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Sat Feb 2 06:06:01 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:33:50AM -0500, dave at cca.org wrote:
> mcguire at neurotica.com writes:
> >On February 2, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> >> The owner of this Sparc isn't too sure what it is worth.
>
> >  Worth, as in money?  It's worth *nothing*, but you can do a lot with
> >it.  A perfect illustration of the difference between WORTHless and
> >USEless.  Grab it; it's a neat machine.
>
> Especially since it's low power consumption. Power/heat/noise sometimes
> make an old machine less appealing for real use, but an SS1 is a nice
> quiet little tank.

Indeed. On mine, the PSU fan eventually started making pretty horrible
noise. Didn't bother to find a fitting new one, just recycled some pc
crap and a bit of cardboard.
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hhaataja/pics/lucifer_678.jpg

Now it's happy in the bedroom. SWMBO complains of the hd rattle
ocasionally if I batch some 'make package' process over night.

> Still worth $0 on the market though. Sweet, sweet, irony. :-)

Indeed. But once you have it, it's quite possible that you won't be able
to get rid of it anymore because no-one will even bother to drag it and
the heavy old monitor away =)

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]