[rescue] Sparc-1 - shipping to NZ

Innfomail at aol.com Innfomail at aol.com
Sat Feb 2 00:36:43 CST 2002

In a message dated 2/1/02 9:05:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, luser at xtra.co.nz
writes:

> Would that be $US40 to the bottom of the Pacific :-) ?

While I do realize it was a humorous response, this made me look.

I have decided that  the US Postal System (USPS) is the cheapest way to send
packages overseas. Note, I said cheapest not necessarily cheap. Using the
USPS International calculator I find that 70 pounds (the limit to NZ) to New
Zealand would be a little over $106.00 US. 30 pounds is $54.00. It was the
same to Australia for 30 pounds but the weight limit was 44 pounds. This is
Surface Air Mail which takes 4 to 6 weeks.

I have been sending test equipment to Europe lately and have done a lot of
comparison shopping. We continually settle on USPS Airmail Parcel Post.

>From cheapest (top) to expensive (bottom):

USPS Ground Parcel Post   4 to 6 weeks
USPS Airmail Parcel Post    4 to 8 days  (One pkg to Italy took 51 days, is
worst case)
USPS Express International
FedEx Economy
UPS Economy International - not always available
FedEx Regular International
UPS Regular International.
DHL

I do not have accounts with any of the above shippers, so discounts, if you
qualify,  can alter the results considerably.

If anyone knows of a shipper I have missed please let me know.

Paxton
Astoria, OR