[rescue] OpenBSD

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Feb 2 00:18:28 CST 2002

On February 1, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Any thoughts on what to get for a good analogue scope?  I clearly need
> one for my workbench, to go along with my VTVMs and other cool stuff.  I
> was looking around at them about a year ago, but I couldn't figure out
> what a good scope would be.

  For an analog scope, the brand to look for is Tektronix.  If you're
budget conscious, a 465 or 475 can be had for anywhere between $75 and
$250.  These are excellent scopes, long considered to be the
"standard" much like the Simpson 260 in the world of analog
multimeters.  They're well-respected, stable, rugged, predictable, and
generally easy to deal with.  These are both dual-trace, dual-timebase
scopes.

  If you can afford to spend more like $700 to $1100, a 2465 is
absolutely wonderful.  I've got a 2465A (the 350MHz version) and I
love it.  It's a fast, very good quad-trace dual-timebase analog scope
with all-digital controls and on-screen parametric display and
measurement cursors in both X and Y.  They're *very* handy.  This
scope is more expensive but well worth the investment.  Keep in mind,
you're likely only going to buy ONE of these.

  Most of the 2200 series are not so great...it's not that they're bad
scopes, but they're nowhere near the quality and coolness of the 2400
series on the 465/475.

  Anyway these are the models I'd recommend for general-purpose use.
Above all, though, with ANY scope, do NOT skimp on probes.  They're
*important*.  Buy new ones, and buy good ones.  The best scope with
the flattest response and the widest-bandwidth front-end is total shit
with a cheap probe.  I like Tektronix 6104 probes myself, and they're
not all that expensive.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire