[rescue] Sparc-1

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 1 21:48:24 CST 2002

On February 2, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> May be having a look at a Sparc-1 in a few weeks. It has a monitor,
> but no keyboard and no mention of a mouse. Other than that I know nothing
> about the computer. Should be able to pick up a keyboard from one of
> the computer brokers here.

  Keyboards and mice for Suns are pretty easy to find.

> I know that a Sparc-1 is slow from some of the conversation here.
> Depending on RAM will be able to install Solaris 8 on it ? These
> are the only Solaris CDs I have for Sparc.

  Solaris 8 doesn't support the sun4c architecture as far as I
recall.  It'd be abysmally slow on that machine anyway.  Put NetBSD on
it; then it'll be capable of real work.

> The owner of this Sparc isn't too sure what it is worth.

  Worth, as in money?  It's worth *nothing*, but you can do a lot with
it.  A perfect illustration of the difference between WORTHless and
USEless.  Grab it; it's a neat machine.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire