[rescue] Solaris 8 Differences

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Feb 1 16:29:29 CST 2002

> X is a problem of its on. The free Xservers seem to be a bit flaky on
> Sparcs, at least the one from Debian 2.2 sucks. Debian 3.0 isn't ready
> yet, but there have been problem reported, too. The Solaris server is
> better.

That's because you're attempting to run code originally written for x86 on
Sparc.  If you were to run code written for Sparc, you wouldn't have the
problem.  Try a BSD or >gasp< Solaris...

> Imho having only 256 colours at a maximum resolution of 1152x864 just
> isn't worth it. Getting a cheap Matrox as second or third graphics
> card in a PC is *much* faster at higher resolution/colours.

My SS10 displays 24bpp, and it is quite acceptable.  The whole freakin thing
cost me $40 at the time, loaded with RAM, processor, disk, keyboard, mouse,
and I had a decent 16" Sun monitor.  I'm guessing you don't truly understand
why these machines are useful...

> OpenBSD and Linux should be fine for console use. Solaris sucks,
> because it has no frame buffer support and no virtual terminals.

Where did you come from?  Are you trolling, or just grossly misinformed?

Kurt