[rescue] SPARCstation 20

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Feb 1 12:21:59 CST 2002

On Friday 01 February 2002 10:52 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:45:42AM -0500, Julius Sridhar wrote:
> > Hi.  I am not really familiar with Sun machines.  I'm a DEC and IBM guy.
> > I was wondering what would be the minimum single-processor SPARC machine
> > that you would use as a single-headed X workstation under NetBSD.
> > Thanks.
>
> Minimum?  SPARCstation 1.  8-)

Personally, I wouldn't use a Sparc for this.  I'd use a $50 PC and add a $50
video card and a $10 network card to it.  Add linux.  Stir.  You will have an
X terminal that rips compared even to modern Sun boxen.

The sun boxes are slow even with their native OS.

I have lots of experience building X terminals with Linux on PC hardware and
the accelerated video cards on this platform, combined with decent driver
support, make these things just rip.