[rescue] SPARCstation 20

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Feb 1 11:18:06 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:45:42AM -0500, Julius Sridhar wrote:
> Hi.  I am not really familiar with Sun machines.  I'm a DEC and IBM guy.
> I was wondering what would be the minimum single-processor SPARC machine
> that you would use as a single-headed X workstation under NetBSD.  Thanks.

Mine's an SS1+ =)

Apart from the hideously bad (relatively) framebuffer I quite like it.
Certainly does most non-graphical tasks but YMMV ofcourse. They were
very admired machines in their time. Then different things came forth
like ridiculously heavy web browsers etc and things changed.

SS5's and 20's seem popular and you can even get truecolor framebuffers
for them.

(Apropos fb's; is it just me or is my HP700RX ovet 10base2 faster than
the same stuff on the local CG3?)