[rescue] Solaris 8 Differences

Thomas Steffen my_list_account at iname.com
Fri Feb 1 02:33:12 CST 2002

"Joshua Johnston" <flagg at midmaine.com> writes:

> For the second time in a month, I've been bitten by the Sparc bug. I
> just won a -nicely- loaded LX on eBay, with a full 96M of RAM and 8G
> of hard drives for $63.

Congrats, these are hard to find.

> What are the major differences I'll find when it comes to this
> Solaris installation, over what I would have seen with Linux or BSD
> systems I've used in the past?

Well... Solaris ist different. Quite different, because it is SystemV.
It seems to be more memory hungry, especially in recent version. 2.5
may be more efficient.

> Also, what amount of resources will be used by a Solaris 8
> installation with X loaded?

X is a problem of its on. The free Xservers seem to be a bit flaky on
Sparcs, at least the one from Debian 2.2 sucks. Debian 3.0 isn't ready
yet, but there have been problem reported, too. The Solaris server is
better.

Imho having only 256 colours at a maximum resolution of 1152x864 just
isn't worth it. Getting a cheap Matrox as second or third graphics
card in a PC is *much* faster at higher resolution/colours.

> My Classic runs -quite- efficiently at 24M with OpenBSD, but that's
> with console

OpenBSD and Linux should be fine for console use. Solaris sucks,
because it has no frame buffer support and no virtual terminals.

		    Thomas <thomas.steffen at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
--
Umweltfreundlich, da aus recycleten Buchstaben.