[rescue] Re: Digital server 7000r

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Dec 13 04:35:38 CST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> The DEC 7000r in particular caught my eye. The part number is
> 7305-6533A and the model is FR-PD03A-B9. This one has 4 x 533MHz EV56,
> 512MB, plus assorted SCSI and ethernet cards in a curious
> 'back-to-front' chassis (3 PSUs at front?). It doesn't seem to have
> any skins though.
>
> The owner of the company seems to think that it will run NT only and
> has priced it at ~300USD accordingly. Is this a reasonable price? I'm
> tempted to buy it anyway - but is he right about it only supporting
> NT? I'd like to run Debian if possible, but I'm having trouble finding
> info about this particular model.

Naw, it sucks. Want my shipping address? :)

Geez, I thought I got some good deals. It sounds good, and it should be
able to run at least Debian. I'd shoot Tru64 at it myself (if it's
supported). But a quick Google search suggests it was sold as a "dual NT
cluster" with NT4 server license included. And further searching shows no
love from anything but NT :(

http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/sys_types says 7300 is supported by
Linux but not by GNUmach. 7305 is allegedly supported by neither.

So maybe you'll get what you pay for after all. But still, if I had space
and power for it I'd run NT on that critter fairly happily. :)

Rob