[rescue] Linux on SS1000 (was SS1000)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 7 23:06:38 CST 2002

Well, Red Hat underwrote the initial port, and as a business they
decided that they should only put effort into those efforts that
produce revenue.

I don't fault them for that - though it would be nice to have a stable,
commercial SPARC Linux to install...

BTW: I have official box sets up through Red Hat SPARC Linux 6.2, and
betas that run back to (what) 4.2?

Lionel

--- Al Potter <apotter at spankingnuns.com> wrote:
> D00d:
>
> lionel4287 at yahoo.com said:
> > I think that ship has sailed,....
>
> Just to make sur eyou know the history, RedHat more-or-less
> underwrote the initial sparc port, and had a fully supported sparc
> version through RZH version 6.2.  They discontinued it because "no
> one was using it" as measured by the the sales of soarc boxed sets.

I thought the reason was sales, no mention of use...

> Never mind that typical users, if they bought the set at all (as
> opposed to simply downloading it), bought it ONCE and installed it
> MANY times.

Well, if it would have helped, I would have installed my copy on more
machines... ;^)

> Of course, it's merely coincidence that this is approximately the
> same time (not use of the word APPROXIMATE) that RH got serious
> about bidness and prepared to or went public <SUITS SUITS SUITS>.

IIRC, they went public fully supporting x86, Alpha & SPARC. AFTER they
IPO'd they dropped SPARC.

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com