[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Dec 3 16:08:26 CST 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 04:43 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Impressive, with somewhat of a retro look.  Most of the info is
> > somewhat
> > meaningless to me though.
>
>    That page details a specific configuration; which volumes are
> attached to which port on the controller in their system.

Yeah, a bunch of 3390 mod 3's.  Those are getting a bit long in the tooth,
the mod 9's came out in what, '94?  A fair number of people stuck with the
-3's for a while because of the VSE/VSAM 65535 track limit (error
IGD17051I comes to mind), which the -9's busted.  It also impacted the MVS
product I was working on at the time that did direct channel controller
reads, but fixing that was relatively easy.

>    Can't say I agree on the "retro" thing, though...it's a current
> product, and the presence of a big LCD on the front of the box makes it
> look pretty modern to me!

Yeah.  A 360/75 is "retro".

Dave, if you manage to get all of this h/w in one place and need help
bringing it up, let me know.  I'm no SE but I dealt with them often enough
to know where the long dangly bit of the atomic vector plotter goes.

Doing a SYSGEN is not rocket science but it's not point and click, either.

-James