[rescue] random babble

Leslie Connally lesliec at theplanet.com
Sat Aug 31 17:56:41 CDT 2002

I was going to post about parting out machines, then, syntax of 'moronic',
then ebay. But I think I do this instead..

eBay has become the easiest way to sell stolen product, however much eBay
wants to deny it.

[I will admit first, before I go on, that I have been unnecessarily
paranoid and accusatory more than once, and I cant always trust my little
voice..

One guy really did have 100 3Com DSP cards ($50,000).. got a deal out of
AOL. completely legit.  and I;ve had several other episodes of unreasonable
paranoia.

But then there are others.]

Ever notice how many motorcycle parts are on eBay? clean used parts..
without frames with VIN numbers  unscratched gastanks and mirrors  with no
frames with VINnumbers.. if theyre crashed.. hmm gastanks and mirrors are
usually first to get banged up.

Ever try to trace a diamond?  camera _parts_? computer _parts_?

ever wonder why someone would be selling computer _parts_, AND  _diamonds_,
AND high-end camera _backs and accessories_, AND different sized boots??
always nothing with traceable serial numbers.. and not really know
_anything_ about _anything_ except what is written on it?

poor spelling?.. poor computer skills?

So I;m saying: listen to _your_ little voice..  and wonder..

No, its not about being caught with stolen merchandise.. its about
supporting it.

Story: (true)

Back early eBay. Guy was selling 10 high-end DEC AlphaStations and 10
Compaq workstations.. 40 grand all at once.. no history.. his name was very
very odd.. Portugese it turned out to be.

Some guys got suspicious.. address wouldnt crosscheck or was a maildrop..
something..  something smelled funny.

Turned out, the sellers "Name" was portugese for "pay to the bearer" aka
CASH in Portugese.. Total sham. Total fraud. Classic! All he had to do was
wait for checks.  and run off to wherever and cash them.. w/ fake ID..
untraceable