[rescue] miss me?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Aug 28 20:13:34 CDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In college, they used to shut the gym down and "set up" the sound
> system... I assumed they were sweeping the PA through the sound
> spectrum at a set volume, then based on the amount of sound absorbed
> at each frequency, they set the EQ to compensate for the room... Is
> that what you're talking about?

Usually not, that is generally done with a pink noise generator and a
frequency analyzer, the tech sets up for flat, then does a long
walkaround with a mic chopping out feedback issues and tuning to taste.

Pink noise is just normalized white noise, with equal amplitude across
the audio spectrum. (sometimes with weighting for specific purposes)

Tim