[rescue] miss me?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 08:06:51 CDT 2002

--- Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:24:59PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 23:08, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > Is there anything special about woofers other than size?  I have
> an 18"

<snip>

> Basically, should there be fundamental design differences between the
> 18" used as a woofer in a large speaker assembly, versus the 18"
> speaker used as the sole speaker in a large keyboard/PA amp?

The little I remember is that it has to do with size of cone (outside
dimension) and the size of the voice coil (inner dimesnion) - the
larger the voice coil, the lower the freq. the speaker goes (reproduces
better, ignores higher freq. etc.).

The large woofers I spoke of a few days ago had voice coils the size of
a peanut can (3 1/3 - 4" across).

Everything else i remember is fuzzier, and I am not 100% about the
preceeding...

Lionel

=====
Lionel