[rescue] Degaussing Drives? That would be interesting!

Pastorel Alexoaie exacomp at rdsor.ro
Mon Aug 26 17:42:30 CDT 2002

    I have recovered entire partitions after low-level formatting. Low-level
formatting has nothing to do with the data on the hdd (same as FORMAT, btw),
but with the extra info used internaly (ie servo track) and is only usable
for hdd with heads driven by step motors where the mechanics could
'decalibrate' so the heads an not reading the tracks correctly-they have to
be rewritten where the head 'heads' for data. Modern hdd do not have the
servo track, cause heads are self aligning on tracks using the data track
itself, that's why modern mainboards do not have this option in the BIOS.
Also producers say that hdd should be NOT low level formatted.
    Consider using SpeedDisk with the option 'Wipe free space' on, WipeInfo
itself, or googling after such utilities, or filling the disk with
multimedia files (the same file, in different folders), deleting them, and
again. You can change the files every time - see the size of the cluster and
append some binary if necessary. Which is the DoD requirements, three times
with three overwrites each time? It would be much faster than checking if
'degaussing' worked, and shurely works.
     Considering the SCSI card, you can do about 6 or more hdd at the time,
so this wouldn't take really a long time.
     I'm wondering how come you did not think of a microwave owen, for sure
you see one more often that a degausser? ;-) But anyway, if you do that,
please post the results here, damn I'd die to do it myself (and to be paid
for!).

Regards
Pasto