[rescue] Solaris 9 woes

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 26 17:23:44 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 01:30:45PM -0600, Jody Stephens wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 06:06:16PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:38:53AM -0600, Jody Stephens wrote:
> > > I finally got some solaris 9 cd's off of a friend. After
> > > much travail I finally got it installed on my Sparc20
> > > (1xSM-71, 1XSM-61, 4MB VSIMM). Everything seems to work
> > > fine (and faster too), except that the Xserver will lock
> > > up, but only, it seems, when I use a graphical web browser
> > > (Netscape 4, and Opera 5 both do it). And this is a hard
> > > lock (unlike my usual experience with sun kit) nothing
> > > responds, even a L1-A. Nothing is reported to the logs
> > > (/var/dt/Xerrors, ~/.dt/errorlogs, dmesg, messages, etc.)
> > > as far as I can tell. I have already installed the
> > > reccomended patch cluster. I'm having no luck searching
> > > for an additional patch.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen a similar behavior? Or have some
> > > advice?

Something about this seems quite strange...

I dimly remember something similar when I did tech support for a
commercial X server vendor.

What color depth are you running the X server in? 8bit or 24bit?

Have you tried running

"netscape -install" (forces its own colormap)
"netscaqpe -mono" (forces it to run in monochrome mode)

You can also try forcing it to run in an X Visual of your choosing.

Run "xdpyinfo | more" and look for the PseudoColor visual id, and try
running "netscape -visual 0x21" or whatever the id is.

See

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/deploymt/options.htm

For other command line options you could try.

Hope this helps,

Patrick