[rescue] Sun serial cable pinout question (null modem)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Aug 26 14:39:14 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, August 15, 2002 at 12:26:20 (+1200), Gavin Hubbard wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] Sun serial cable pinout question (null modem)
>
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm going to make up some null modem cables for my new Sun systems (using
> DB9/25-RJ45 shells).
>
> The two pin-outs that I've seen for the Ultra 2 are:
>
> 2-3
> 3-2
> 7-7
>
> and
>
> 2-3
> 3-2
> 7-20
> 20-7
>
> Are these two equivalent?

Not quite.

The second looks wrong.  Normally pin-20 is DTR and pin 7 is signal
ground.  The two ports should always have their signal grounds tied
together.

> And for the 2nd setup, what do you do if one end
> is a DB9?

Just to be pedantic for a change, it's "DE-9".  :-)

"D" is the basic shape of the shell
"E" is the overall size of the shell (I think)
"9" is the nubmer of pins in the shell

for example:

  DA-15  --  15-pin
  DB-25  --  25-pin