[rescue] Cray J90s

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Aug 26 08:12:51 CDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 02:17:45 -0400
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>    Not meaning to butt into someone else's conversation here, but I
>    have
> to say that I've done a *LOT* of business with surplus dealers...and
> they rarely, if ever, know the first thing about any hardware, Cray or
>
> otherwise.  If you've run into ones that do, keep in touch with
> them...'cause they're rare!
>
>        -Dave

I think the thread started with the thought that we as buyers were
better off with surplus dealers who didn't know about the stuff they
sold, because that leads to huge undervaluations and great prices.  Of
course the opposite is also true.

A local computer scrapyard here was at one point letting the little Sun
boxen go quite cheaply, but somehow got the idea that the Sun monitors
that accompanied them were worth a $lot and would not listen to reason.
They were often so stubborn that they would hold on to something they
were convinced was worth money for a long time, then finally scrap it,
without letting anyone buy it because they didn't want to get "ripped
off".  Of course I bought my 690MP from them by weight, as scrap metal,
so that was OK.

Tim