[rescue] onyx help

Geoff Koehler koehler at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 23 00:20:42 CDT 2002

on 8/22/02 22:40, Dan Sikorski at me at dansikorski.com spake thusly:

> As i mentioned, i finally got a power cable for my onyx, and got it
> powered up.  the lcd screen goes through a bunch of tests which seem to
> be sucessful, and then it says
>
> Startup Complete.
> B+
>
> and that's all i get.
> no video signal
>
> i have two thoughts:
> 1. i have the wrong kind keyboard on it (i just have the ps2 keyboard
> from my o2 on it)
> 2. it's missing an os, or other important software
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> -Dan Sikorski
Hi,

The keyboard is definately wrong.  Onyxes (onyxi?) require an indigo type
keybard, not a PS2.  In the absence of a detected keybaord, its probably
just sending the console output out the serial port.  You might need to
connect a terminal to the DB9 labelled system console tty_1 to see what its
doing.   Or, if you have an indigo - steal its keyboard.   Hope this helps.

Cheers, Geoff

"I sense much NT in you.  NT leads to Blue Screen.  Blue Screen
 leads to downtime.  Downtime leads to suffering.  NT is the path
 to the darkside."        -- Unknown UNIX Jedi