[rescue] $219 Octanes

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Aug 22 20:57:35 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 20:14, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> Actually it is even easier. IRIX 6.5 (at least this install) doesn't use
> shadow passwords. Of course I spent an hour looking for an exploit. It
> took 10:54 minutes to break it.

Yup, that's how i got into my indigo2 and my o2 (and likely soon my
Onyx, i just got the power cable today!*).  usually, the lp account has
no password.  once i logged in as lp, i copied the encryped password
over to another machine, and used john the ripper (a password cracking
utility) to get the actual password.  It took my 650mhz athlon five
minutes to crack the password for the indigo2, and a couple of days to
crack the password for the o2.

	-Dan Sikorski

* i got them from Quail Electronics (www.quail.com) i emailed and asked
about them, and they sent me two for free! along with a catalog,
marketing fluff, coaster, and pen.  (i'm pretty sure that they got the
impression that i might be interested in more).  If anyone can swing
some buisness their way, i'd encourage them to.