[rescue] urgent need for Sun Hi-Res monochrome monitor (or repair

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Aug 19 09:45:56 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, August 19, 2002 at 13:35:32 (+0300), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] urgent need for Sun Hi-Res monochrome monitor (or   repair
>
> IMHO once a SMPS starts sparking or clicking, they are beyond economical
> repair. The problem is that the designers put in just enough "self
> defense" electronics to prevent it from bursting into flames, but not
> enough to save the critical components. So when you see sparks or hear
> clicking something went wrong and took many other components with it.
> :-(

Not everyone agrees with you (including many of the comments on
repairfaq.org and my local friend who is an electronics technician by
trade -- he also thinks the sparking one might be easier to fix than the
whining/clicking ones), but....

> Before you go about fixing these things see if you can locate a wiring
> diagram

I certainly agree with that, thus my post.  My electronics diagnostics
skills are really quite limited (and mostly apply to good old tube-type
equipment).

On the other hand ordering the replacement SMPS for all three monitors
from NEI may be cheaper than purchasing schematics for the whole monitor.

> and hopefully get a PC supply to power it.

We're talking about a high-end video monitor here.  :-)

One header that is labeled on the SMPS module says 5.3v, 43v, and 8.5v.
Another says 120v and 27v.  There don't seem to be any numbers near the
third one, just "V" and "G".  I've no idea about the current capacities,
but none can be very large (and some pins seem to be fed by 5W
resistors).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>