[rescue] 3 O2s

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Aug 16 00:52:54 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 09:21:01PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 08:52 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> >>   FYI for anyone who doesn't know, most Indigo2 configs will kick the
> >>snot
> >>out of an O2 R5K/180.  I "upgraded" to one a few years ago from an
> >>Indigo2
> >>R4400/250.  The O2 was on my desk for less than six hours, and in my
> >>posession for less than 24.
>
>  I have no idea where the bottleneck was.  I was so disgusted with the
> abyssmal performance compared to the Indigo2 that I just got rid of it.

I might be able to shed some light.

http://www.byte.com/art/9605/sec14/art1.htm

The r5k processor is not always faster than an r4.4k processor.

It is a rare person who would be best served by an r5k o2 versus the
desktop SGIs (meaning r10k o2, octane, or decent versions of the I^2).

If you don't plan to do video on your O2, than an r10k o2 would be
better.  And if you don't plan on doing volumetric rendering (which
usually means medical work, or other scientific visualization), than a
Hi Impact with Tram, Max Impact, SI w/ TRAM, MXI would be faster
graphics wise.  And actually any Octane would be better at video
handling for the most part if it weren't for the cost of the bloody
video IO board.

--
Joshua D. Boyd