[rescue] DNS Client

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 13 21:35:58 CDT 2002

Rick--
> [...] DNS is not working properly. I've got network and [can]
> ping any IP I want. BUT, no www.xxxx.com stuff.
> [...]	I created the resolv.conf to my name server. And
> nsswitch.conf has hosts: files dns in it.

Did you kick nscd in the head (kill -HUP) or reboot since you
changed nsswitch.conf?  If not, then the change didn't take effect.
If you did, then start by disabling nscd.  It's not really required
on Solaris, it doesn't provide much advantage unless you're using
NIS/NIS+, and for certain DNS-related conditions our testing has shown
it to be pathological...for example, an automated installation of
pre-compiled BIND *sometimes* fails on *some* Solaris versions if
nscd is running.  /etc/init.d/nscd stop is your friend IIRC.

If none of that helps, are you 100% sure that your resolv.conf is
in the format expected, with no comments/extraneous bits?

=-=-=-=
domain mydomain.com
search mydomain.com otherdomain.com isp.net
nameserver 10.2.3.4
nameserver 10.3.4.5
=-=-=-=

If you'd like to post specifics or ask me off-line, please do...
anything like this that I can test some of our procedures against
is worthwhile.  (Yep, DNS is more-or-less my life right now, particularly
on Solaris for various reasons.)

  --Rip