[rescue] serious monster valuation

Leslie Connally lesliec at theplanet.com
Mon Aug 12 14:53:33 CDT 2002

Max-

I'd like to throw these ideas out for you and the list.

We all should remember that eBay is not the final authority on valuation.
It is a buyers market more than a seller's

There are high-end SGI corporate suit-and-tie secondary SGI dealers who
still manage to get good money for good equipment. That said, they do offer
alot of grovelling and full service and checkout setup and even warranty.
So even thogh they do sell for big money, it is true that that does not
mean they pay well as buyers. In fact, bigger the dealer, the stingier they
are, unless they have an immediate need/buyer.

And Max, these _are_ hard times.. incredibel glut of good first rate
equipment, and few buyers..  million dollar Sun E10Ks sell for $100,000 ..
thats 10 cents on the dollar.

But if you can get your hands on an SGI dealer list or a trade journal like
"The Processor", and get your equipment list nicely written up and fax it
out to them, you might get a bite.

The smarter you seem, they might treat you with more respect.  This means
letterhead and full specs and  *part numbers*. Talk up condition. etc

and dont seem desparate.

>Challenge XLs
>16 proc R10k
>3.5GB Ram