[rescue] MacOS version 8.6

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Mon Aug 12 06:01:27 CDT 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:

> 9.1 (and/or 9.2) are still "current products" as far as I know;

9.something is still current. There is a new version comming out at
the end of the month to go with the OS X (I think it's 10.2).

10.2 was a major upgrade to the system and is being sold as a completly
new product. There will be no cheap upgrades. :-(

> I think
> the only macOS you can get for "Free" (without Apple caring) is an old
> System 7 they have for download.

System 0.1 through 7.0.1 were licenesed by cpu. If you had in your
posession a MacIntosh computer, you had a license for the software.
6.0.8, 7.0 and the 7.0.1 upgrade are downloadable for free from
ftp.apple.com.

Versions prior to 6.0.8 are availble from user groups (which was the
original distribution method) and can be legally copied if you have a
friend with a copy.

System 7.1 contains some non Apple software included in it, and is still
avaialble for sale (only from Apple), but will never be free.

System 7.5 is NOW available with the same license (i.e. if you have a cpu,
you have a license) as 7.0.1 and previous. You can download it for free
from www.apple.com.

System 7.6 on is still "sold", but that does not mean you will be able
to actually purchase a copy.

Upgrades that cannot run on their own, e.g. 8.1 can be downloaded from
ftp.apple.com, but you need an original CD to upgrade from.

>  Everything newer than that is still
> highly copyrighted.  They might not sell it as a current product, but
> that wont keep their lawyers at bay.

Exactly.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.