[rescue] Good reading

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Mon Aug 12 02:24:59 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 12:30 AM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> >> Mmmm - IBM 360/370 Architecure.... Light reading ;^)
> >
> > I've still got my Principles of Operation around here somewhere... 360
> > Assembler on punched cards... yikes!
>
>    Is that the one that says "POOP" on the front? 8-)

Practicaly my mother tounge. I've written well over 100,000 lines of BAL
code for money.

>    I'm doing some assembler tonight, actually.  Not on a 360, though,
> unfortunately.

Oh well, IMHO the best assembly languages to program were IBM 360/370,
CDC 6800 and Motoroala 68000 in that order.

IMHO INTEL went out of their way to design bad machine languages.

BTW, someone has written an IBM mainframe emulator. Out of the box it runs
VM 370 REL 6 and MVS 3.8.  If you can talk IBM out of a license you can
run the latest versions (very difficult). On the other hand it's just like
the old days. "r 00,u" Whooeeeeeeeeeee

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.