[rescue] how to put a value on a monster ...?

max trefonides maxadam at uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 11 18:40:11 CDT 2002

Hi all, you might remember a while ago I was posting about our Challenge
XLs ...well, we haven't yet been able to find the time or motivation or
money to run power for them, and it is looking like we never will.  So
it seems that it is time for us to unburden ourselves, much as we hate
to, these things make all the girls think we're cool. [yeah, right] ...

Ans so I appeal to you all to help us determine a fair reserve price.  I
am a little sketchy on the specs of one of them, but the good one is:

16 proc R10k
3.5GB Ram
4 4GB disks
2 FCAL disk array boards
and a bunch of SCSI mezzanine boards, (not sure how many), it's
currently in cryo at a loft across town along with all my other crap.

This is AFAIK, I can't run hinv 'cause like I said it hasn't been
powered up since I got it about 8 months ago, but it was running the
hell out of seti when I halted it.

we also have another XL which has, AFAIK, 6proc R8K, the other specs are
a mystery, I don't think it's been powered up in a couple of years.

I hope not to part them out, I think they're pretty groovy machines as
is, and would like not to have to get rid of the carcasses .. although
they would make really cool looking fridges .... =)

well, I hope you all can be objective and resist the temptation to go,
"ummm, those things aren't worth squat, tell ya wot, I'll help you out
by taking it off your hands .... "  Unless of course that's really
true.  I can't imagine that it is totally useless, there were a few
people on this list that were interested last time I brought it up ...
(Hi James, hope all is well) ...

TIA

--
max