[rescue] Re: Re: looking for SS1000 memory

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Fri Aug 9 12:56:05 CDT 2002

> > The modules I removed from this box labeled SPARCServer1000 have 68
> > pins. A 72-pin SIMM will not fit in the slot; it's too long. The working
> > SIMMs have "68" stamped on them where a 72-pin SIMM has "72" stamped on
> > it. I really did check before I asked. ;)
>
> Okay, foot in mouth/talking outta my ass disease there. I just poked into
> the service manual and it definitely says 68 pin. Guess I didn't look too
> closely when I installed mine...I was handed a bag of simms and they
> looked like 72pin.  Also says banks of 4, not banks of 8. So I hereby
> confess my heinous errors.
>
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/801/801-2895/pdf/0-svc.pdf
>
> Still suggest checking ebay. Memoryx has the kits for $132 (128MB kit). If
> you get really stuck, I may have some spares... I have 1408MB in mine if
> memory serves, and it hasn't been powered up in almost a year.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. I promise it will happen again. :)

They *do* look very much like 72-pin SIMMS. Then I tried to stuff some
72-pin modules in there adn noticed that they wouldn't go. *sigh* My
friend offered that I could trim them with wire cutters, but we agreed
that might impair their functionality somewhat. ;)

I did find some on eBay, reasonably-priced, too. 3.99 for a 32M module,
but too far away from the finish time to project final price. I'll check
memoryx for a retail price and see if I can get them for under that on
eBay.

Thanks.

--
Steve Sandau