[rescue] Re: looking for SS1000 memory

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Fri Aug 9 12:21:00 CDT 2002

> > At work I have a SS1000 with 256M of memory in 8 chips. I need to
> > upgrade this to at least 512M to use it for the Oracle database I have.
> >
> > Suggestions on where to (cheaply) purchase the appropriate (weird
> > 68-pin) modules?
>
> They're very weird 68-pin modules, in that they have 72 pins. :-)
>
> The SS1000 uses 72pin ECC Parity DRAM in banks of 8 8MB or 32MB. There are
> some dutch auctions for the 32meg sticks on ebay... search for "501-2196".
> oempcworld.com and memoryx.net are good places to look too.

The modules I removed from this box labeled SPARCServer1000 have 68
pins. A 72-pin SIMM will not fit in the slot; it's too long. The working
SIMMs have "68" stamped on them where a 72-pin SIMM has "72" stamped on
it. I really did check before I asked. ;)

Were there maybe two types of motherboards? Is a SPARCServer1000
different from a SPARCStation1000??

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician