[rescue] Shooting yourself in the foot....

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Thu Aug 8 15:23:26 CDT 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Mike Johnson wrote:

>vraptor at employees.org [vraptor at employees.org] wrote:
>
>> I once managed to blow away about 75 users' mailboxes under Solaris
>> trying to move it to a new disk (getting POP3 mail off the swap
>> disk is good).  Two people thanked me, and I got zero bitching.
>> I did have a backup from the night before, but still 8 hours of
>> mail gone...and no one complained.
>
>Long ago, I used to run Microsoft Mail Server (stupid corporate standard)
>on a Mac 6100 with a 250MB hard drive for 300 lusers.  It was great for
>keeping mailbox sizes down.  The best part, was that since mgmt wouldn't
>buy more storage, every month I got to purge old e-mail.  Man, that was
>satifying.

I wish!

I thought it was funny that the official corp. policy was that "no
email was archived" (legal CYA), but we did snapshots with all filers
every night, had an in-house program that did diffs from the previous
weekend's level 1, and did monthly level 0's of every mail server (all
sent off-site after 3 months, and home dir on the Unix side, *and* we
had a some PC-foo automated backup system that would allow anyone with
a PC to automagically backup their desktop/laptop.

I guess we shouldn't *really* be surprised that corp accounting practices
are so double-speak given what we all know about their internal IT
practices.

:-/

=Nadine=