[rescue] Searching for cheap memory

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 8 14:54:32 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 03:38:10PM -0400, George Adkins wrote:

> > I don't think so. From my perusing and recall, none of the macs used
> > 72pin FPM. Some used 72pin non-parity(7100-8100), some used
> > parity-DIMMS. What _did_ use 72pin FPM were Sun IPX's.
>
> IIRC the 7100 that I had a couple of years ago worked just fine with 72 pin
> FPM Parity, as well as FPM non-parity memory.  Not all Fast Page Mode memory
> is parity, and many older macs just ignore it if it is there.

Speaking of which, is there anyone who wants to sell me 2 16meg simms
for a [678]100 or 840av really cheaply?  4 8meg simms might also be
acceptable, but I'm not sure if they work with the 840av.  I want enough
ram to get it working decently without having to cripple my 8100 which
I've started using more and more.  I have the 840av.  I have an ATTO 4D
scsi card for it (someone heard what I wanted to do with this card and
so sent it to me for free), and come Tuesday, I will have a hardware
raid array, and enough harddrives to saturate the SCSI chanel.  The idea
is to see exactly how does the performance of the 840av change,
especially with regard to the build in video capture, when given a disk
this fast.  I'll be starting with just bench marking the subsystem under
different setups, then will be moving on to testing various capture
setups (boy I really wish I had a nuvista card right about now) with the
system.

--
Joshua D. Boyd