[rescue] FDDI PC PCI Cards

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Aug 7 12:11:34 CDT 2002

On August 7, Kris Kirby wrote:
> Anyone care to comment on the performance of the PC-based PCI cards for
> FDDI? I'm looking at connecting one machine directly to the switch VIA
> something like a DEF?A PCI card and wonder if I can expect to get $BIG_NUM
> performance out of FDDI, kinda like how I get near wire rate with short
> ethernet jumps.

  NetBSD's fpa driver needs optimization work, but it's ok.
SysKonnect's Solaris driver is very nice, screamin' fast...you can
saturate a FDDI ring with it with no problem.

  You'll definitely be able to get full wire rate with the latter,
though not quite with the former.  Where you'll win, though, is that
4470-byte MTU...moving three times as much data in a packet not only
reduces the number of headers transmitted, but also reduces OS
processing overhead.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo