[rescue] VAX 7000 Power

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Aug 7 10:34:27 CDT 2002

> Use 220 instead. You won't have success with 110v unless you know what you
> are doing. You will have trouble getting breakers, etc. and the cable will
> be expensive. When you switch to 110v you have to double the current rating
> of the feed, so you will have to run a new line anyways.

I need to run a new feed to the computer room anyway (although
the VAX 7000 (a 7660) won't go there).  Right now I'm on the
edge and sometimes the breaker will trip.

What I'm thinking is 30A, professionally installed (to meet
code).

> If you live in an apartment use the dryer or stove outlet to get 220v (don't
> skimp on cable gauge, it must be heavy enough to carry the full rating of
> the breaker, 60 amps for stove, 30 amps for dryer).

I live in a house, and the stove and dryer connections are
already taken.  My wife would be upset, too, if she came
home one day to find the stove was gone and some big system
was in the old spot.  Besides, my wife likes to cook and
she's a great cook, so I'd be upset at that point, too.

After having to take the clothes to a laundromat in college
and to a common laundry room in one of my apartments there's
no way I'm doing without the dryer, too.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net