[rescue] An interesting error message

Ido Dubrawsky ido at dubrawsky.org
Tue Aug 6 21:26:17 CDT 2002

So my Ultra 1 finally arrived today (USPS is so slow!).  I gleefully unboxed it
and set about installing Solaris 8 (until I can get my hands on Solaris 9!).
It didn't have a hard drive so I went to Goodwill during lunch and lo and
behold!  They had a Sun Seagate 4.3GB SCA drive for sale!  Okay it was $24.95
but I was just so impatient.  Anyway, got it back to the office, installed it
and turned the machine on.  I gave the familiar "boot cdrom" command at the
OpenProm prompt and it started to boot the CD, gave me the expected complaint
that it was trying to boot a 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit machine and did what
I expected...boot the 32-bit kernel....

Then during the boot kernel load and execution the kernel paniced...badly.
Complaining over and over with an error message like:

not found: proc_pagetree

and a whole slew of other messages.  Hmmm....I thought this might be a problem
with the kernel and the OpenPROM version.  But that was not the case.  The
PROM version of this box is 3.25.  So I tried a Solaris 2.6 CD and got even
more error messsages and the kernel load failed.  I then wanted to make sure
that this wasn't some problem with the SCSI bus and the new disk (oh yeah, the
guy who sold this to me apparently mistook the SBUS connectors for 68-pin SCSI
connectors).  Anyway the probe-scsi command returned the following error:

Fast MMU data access miss

probe-scsi-all would not work at all.  I had to soft reset the box several times
before probe-scsi-all would provide me an inventory of my SCSI devices.  And
then I would boot the box and the kernel would panic.

To make a long story short I finally isolated the problem to the internal CD-
ROM, a TEAC model.  My best guess is that either this is not the original CD-
ROM that came with this machine.  The machine would initially boot from the
OS CD but then when the kernel tried to access the CD during the rest of the
bootstrap process it probably couldn't read the CD and then paniced.  That's
my guess.  I ended up disconnecting the internal CD and plugging in an external
Sun CD drive and using it to boot the system....not a problem.

Out of curiosity, anyone seen this behavior before?

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky               			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Engineer				idubraws at cisco.com
dubrawsky.org