[rescue] Silicon Graphics Indy R5000 fails PROM diagnostic

Jason L. Musgrove j.musgrove at delta.wlv.ac.uk
Tue Aug 6 19:12:36 CDT 2002

Hi all,
    I recently purchased two SGI Indy computers, a R4600 133 and a R5000SC 150
both with 64Mb Mem (8x8Mb), 2 Gb HD and 8-bit XL graphics. The R4600 is fine
but unfortunately the R5000 fails the PROM diagnostics with the following
error:

Interrupt controller diagnostics      *FAILED*
Check or replace: CPU Base board

    It does, however, give me the option to continue and it happily boots into
IRIX (6.5) and no ill effects were noticed whilst I played with some of the
demo apps (buttonfly, solidview, powerflip and Doom). Unfortunately, my
knowledge using SGI systems, let alone their troubleshooting, is somewhat
limited.

    Does this sound like a serious problem and if so, has anyone got any ideas
on where I can find more information on error or, indeed, any suggestions on
how I should go about troubleshooting it?

    Thank you in advance for any help you can provide
- Jason