[rescue] U30--thanks

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Aug 6 18:44:39 CDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:14:30 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Err, I though you specifically weren't supposed to see the light when
> it came to fiber optic networking.  Something about trying to prevent
> blindness, wasn't it?
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

10bFX is fine, that's just a little red laser diode, all visible, eyes
know what to do with it.  100 is invisible, and can damage your eyes,
not like instant blindness or anything, but in the non-repairable
cumulative damage sort of way.  I have no idea what wavelength FDDI is,
you can check for visible by pointing a live fiber at a piece of paper.

I really liked the visibility of 10FX because you could always tell the
RX/TX lines apart.

Tim