[rescue] Long network paths

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Tue Aug 6 11:23:21 CDT 2002

"Fogg, James" wrote:

> Actually, this sort of thing is just what interests me.
>
> For the home datacenter though, it mostly doesn't matter (except for the
> 4-hub/repeater rule, its a killer). For the networker-geek home network
> (mine) one must run at least 3 VLAN's.

Well, in it's current incarnation (which is small at the moment, more
machines to be added when I get the physical muscle (more people) to get
the machines in the house) my network consists of a PC & Tadpole laptop
connected via 10bt to my lanplex 2500, an Ultra-1, Ultra-30, and an LX
connected via FDDI SAS to a SysKonnect concentrator which is in turn
connected DAS to the Lanplex 2500. The Ultra-30 is also connected
directly to lanplex via 100bt (for the SunPCi card, it doesn't like
FDDI). The Lanplex 2500 is connected via 10bt to a Linksys cablerouter
which is connected to a Comm21 cablemodem (does the cablemodem count as
a network device in this scenario?)

What's possibly even more interesting is that since loosing my multiple
IPs I've had to resort to dynamic IP, and this time instead of using
expensive services (such as TZO or Dynip.com) as I had in the past I'm
using dyndns.org  ( for a $30.00 donation they will host your domain's
DNS for life) for my primary domain (agrijag.com) and for my secondary
ones I'm using dotster's redirection service. The redirection service,
along with the latest firmware in the linksys router allow me to
redirect www.aboutholsters.com (a website that's going to be about the
book my father just published) to www.agrijag.com:81 (this part is done
by dotster), then because I perceive this to be a temporary thing
(needing the redirection) instead of reconfiguring apache to run on port
81 (yes I know, it's a simple thing to do) I have the linksys router
send anything coming in on port 81 to the machine where that webpage is
on port 80. Again as I think this is going to be a temporary thing I
choose to use Dotster's free service, so the website has a banner ad on
the bottom, but heck, it's free :)

Now that I've bored the tears out of most of you, I'll return you to
your normal email programming...

--
-Mike