[rescue] Long network paths

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 6 10:07:36 CDT 2002

Actually, this sort of thing is just what interests me.

Generally, I try to avoid as many individual network forwarding devices as
possible, because they all introduce latency. I fight to avoid
SRAIS(Supposedly Redundant Array of Inexpensive Switches) in favor of one
big switch.

With hubs (repeaters) the Ethernet 543 rule kills the idea of having more
than 4 hubs in a collision domain. If you exceed a count of 4 you need to
break the collision domain with a switch or router.

And, really big LANs usually need to have the broadcast domain broken up by
routers and VLAN's.

For the home datacenter though, it mostly doesn't matter (except for the
4-hub/repeater rule, its a killer). For the networker-geek home network
(mine) one must run at least 3 VLAN's.