[rescue] Long network paths

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Aug 5 21:00:38 CDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:44:09 -0400
George Adkins <george at webbastard.org> wrote:

> On Monday 05 August 2002 06:55 pm, you wrote:
> >    Random question of (probably little) interest: what's the longest
> >    (most
> > hops) path on your LAN from one machine to another, without going
> > through routing?
> >
> 2
> none of my machines are more than 1 hub or concentrator away from my
> core router.

Well, fast stuff to wireless goes Unmanaged 10/100 switch - 3Com 10bT
switch - firewall/router to get out, or the last step 3Com - Airport to
get wireless.  Since I have nothing but 10bT and 100bTX and 802.11b,
everything of similar speed plugs into the same box, no Token Ring or
[CF]DDI.  Of course I have some stuff that uses AUI-10bT transcievers,
does that count?  And when I build my computer building that will be a
100bFX fiber link to the house, which would technically add two more
hops.

Tim