[rescue] OT: Clutter???

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Aug 5 20:33:22 CDT 2002

Most people think "getting organized" is the goal, so they
just dive in, hence it's really easy to lose sight of the
big picture.

Morgenstern advocates setting the *real* goal--*WHY* do you
want to "get organized"?  Do you waste time looking for stuff,
waste money buying duplicates because you can't find the
first one, waste money and goodwill paying your bills late,
etc.  Do you need to travel a great deal, so you want to
have everything organized for easy access?  Do you play a
lot of different sports so you want things organized so you
can just grab a bag and hop in the car to play raquetball,
paintball, or go skiing on short notice?

Or maybe you like to work on a lot of projects, but you also
need to be conscious of the impact a mess makes on your SO/
roommates/kids, so you need some way to quickly get your
"project stuff" out, use it for a couple of hours, then
quickly clean up when it's time for work/dinner/sleep.

"Organizing" is the final step towards a goal (not the first
as most people think), and as with all goal-setting activities,
*planning* has to happen for the goal will be reached.

(Yeah, I'm a bit of a proselytizer for this idea now--~35 yrs.
of mess, and I've finally found an answer--it's had a *big*
affect.)

=Nadine=