[rescue] Ross sparcplug

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 4 23:51:34 CDT 2002

> > > I just found what I think is a 166MHz hypersparc powered
> > > Ross Sparcplug
> > Good luck getting the support software for it;
> What support software?  [...] The software that Ross shipped
> was merely an X server and a better serial terminal emulator
> than Hyperterminal.

Hmm.  I wasn't the sysadmin for them, but I've taught in two
rooms near here that each had ~20 PCs with a SPARCPlug stuck
into them...and IIRC that wasn't an ordinary X server.  It
was a Windows application (Win95/NT compatible) that allowed
the SPARCPlug to use the PC keyboard/mouse as its input with
hotkeys to switch back-and-forth between Solaris/SPARC and
Windows/x86.

Perhaps you consider that capability to be trivial to replace...
I don't.

Additional info perhaps available, but I'll have to cozy up
to someone who owns the systems and see if I can get the
additional detail.  Yep, I keep hoping that they want to send
them to DRMO, but I suspect that the systems would never make
it out to the regular consumers...

  --Rip