[rescue] Re: Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Aug 4 12:31:49 CDT 2002

On August 4, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Inferior perhaps to its peers, but I want to steer this (again) to the
> original comparison of SS10 to U5.  As crippled as the U5 may or may not
> be, how is an SS10 a perferable platform for a desktop machine over a
> U5?  What desktop functions can it do better?

  I'll [rudely] jump in with a couple of points:

  1) live to be a ripe old age
  2) support a heavy monitor without going "squish"
  3) handle lots of I/O across multiple drives without grinding to a halt
  4) be picked up on eBay for $20 to allow for the purchase of better
     peripherals or even beer

  (of course #3 can be mitigated by installing a SCSI host adapter in
the U5)

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo