[rescue] *BSD on Sparc?

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Aug 4 04:04:56 CDT 2002

On  3 Aug, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> That is not try.  I have yet to see NetBSD running on an Onyx,
> Challenge, Octane, or Indigo2, or even a lowly Indigo.
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/
NetBSD is the world's first Open Source operating system running
on Silicon Graphics  O2.
[...]
2001-05-11 [...] Most notably is new support for the IP22 (Indigo2,
Indy, Challenge S)

OK. It is somewhat unfinished yet, but there is somthing.

> Come to think of it, I've never heard of a NetBSD port to the J90 or
> EL line of machines from Cray either.
I second the statement of Dave: A Cray is a number crunching appliance.

> It seems there is a little bit
> of work on it from S/390 machines though.
Yes, and our beloved Sridhar is one of the persons behind this.

The missing IBM RS/6000 POWER 1 support is somthing that hurts me too.
I gave a 320 away because of this. (OK. I traded it for a VAX 4000-400
CPU and RAM.)

And don't forget: Some "idiots" started an afford to port NetBSD to the
DEC PDP 10 architecture.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen