[rescue] Re: Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Aug 3 21:27:12 CDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 13:07, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   (This is why I usually ignore the IDE vs. SCSI wars around here...I've
> seen the difference in a very real-world situation, and no amount of
> weenies-wanting-to-sell-me-on-cheap-IDE-disks conversations are going
> to change that)

I agree, for a real server application like a 1,500+ seat squid
deployment, a U5 with IDE just doesn't cut the mustard.

But for a desktop machine to do some light development work on, it is a
fine machine.  I also happen to be throwing some server-ish tasks at it
but for a much smaller network (my home).

The discussion though was on SS10 vs. U5, and the mistaken notion that
somehow the SCSI in the SS10 makes it a better machine than the U5 which
lacks SCSI.  My argument is, for what both machines were intended for,
the U5 is "good enough".  Sun made real workstations at the same time as
the U5 for people who needed real workstations.