[rescue] *BSD on Sparc?

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Sat Aug 3 19:30:32 CDT 2002

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 06:27:54PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

>> NetBSD runs on anything, so you could also run that. But I haven't tried
>> it personally.

>That is not try.  I have yet to see NetBSD running on an Onyx,
>Challenge, Octane, or Indigo2, or even a lowly Indigo.

It'll never support the graphics hardware, so what's the point?
(Unless you just mean a headless SMP SGI box as a compute server.
That would be nice running NetBSD.)

>Come to think of it, I've never heard of a NetBSD port to the J90 or
>EL line of machines from Cray either.  It seems there is a little bit
>of work on it from S/390 machines though.

Again, what's the point? No one is going to get gcc anywhere
close to the level of the Cray compilers. (Ok, mildly a point
there, just because it can be really hard to get a copy of UNICOS.)

I don't want to criticize the NetBSD project, because they've done
wonders, both in supporting lots of exotic hardware and also in
continuing a sane evolution of BSD, but I am in an unfortunate
position of having a couple of systems they don't support. Primarily
my RS/6000 (Powerserver 930). (Which I'm almost done replacing with
a Sun-4/3x0, even though that's a lot slower, just because I hate
AIX so much.)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
---------- "Anything Jesus can do, I can do better." - The Locust ----------