[rescue] Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sat Aug 3 18:58:03 CDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 nick at snowman.net wrote:

> So what's wrong with the AXmp?  I havn't had any problems with them.
> 	Nick

It's a decent machine, just with a poor design.  The two-board approach
increases production cost dramatically and introduces potential
interconnect failures.  The overlap of the CPU cage and the PCI slots
renders some of them useless.  Cooling is a pain to do properly.  Power
supply requirements are weird.

I'm honestly not sure why SME made them.  I suspect that they had a Large
Customer who wanted something like them to fit a specific app (probably
involving NEBS) and they decided to sell them to others as well to recoup
some of the design expense.

-James