[rescue] *BSD on Sparc?

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Sat Aug 3 18:27:54 CDT 2002

vraptor at employees.org wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the
>*BSDs on Sparc?  I'm interested in learning vinum, and would
>rather not build out another x86 box just for that purpose.
>I'd prefer FreeBSD, as that's what I know best, but any *BSD
>is cool by me (Linux hurts my brain).
>
>Is it doable on an SS20?
>
>Thanks--
>=Nadine=

Well, I run OpenBSD on a SS5 (85MHz) and it is quite fast. Hell, I run
it on a Classic (but it's not what I would call fast) for my firewall, I
will probably upgrade to an SS5 when I start running a VPN.

I don't think FreeBSD had a SPARC port in their last release, but one
may be in development.

NetBSD runs on anything, so you could also run that. But I haven't tried
it personally.

I think a SS10 running *BSD would be fine.

shawn