[rescue] Possible DYNIX system rescue (Sequent NUMA-Q 2000)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Aug 3 16:54:20 CDT 2002

[ On Saturday, August 3, 2002 at 16:57:49 (+1200), Gavin Hubbard wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] Possible DYNIX system rescue (Sequent NUMA-Q 2000)
>
> Does anyone here have knowledge or experience with Sequent NUMA-Q 2000
> servers running DYNIX/ptx? I've found a possible rescue on a 32-way Pentium
> Pro system (circa 1997) and before yesterday I'd never even heard of Sequent.
>
> Is this an Intel MPS v1.4 compliant system? Is there a suitable COTS OS for
> this system, or is it completely bespoke?

I'm pretty sure the more recent versions of Dynix/PTX (say, all 4.x.x,
or maybe even earlier; which a 1997 machine would almost certainly be
running) use ELF as the default file format, and they are binary
compatible with the SysV ABI v3 for i386, with ABI+ extensions.

	http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/xseries/docs/dpidaa01/ch_1.htm
	http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/xseries/docs/dpidab00/ch_1.htm

See also:

	http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/xseries/docs/dpalab01/app_a.htm

and of course all the other docs availble through:

	http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/xseries/

I don't know how/if that relates to Intel MPS.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>